Saturday, November 21, 2009

くらべてしましょうね~

Gift-giving season~~
So, my brother gets about 10 new t-shirts. I see the tags and logos: American Eagle, Quiksilver, the like. So I think, Okay. Good for him. He gets clothing that's popular. And I'm kind of shocked because he actually wears them well. Since when did he care about looks, right?
I feel a little sting though.
Why don't they ever buy me clothes? Sure I'm a girl and I would like to choose my own clothes, maybe. Okay. So not so much weird clothes. But when they do, they buy me weird... business clothing. Why the hell would I ever wear a Sarah Palin style blazer? Why can't they buy me something that looks popular too? Stripey t-shirt or something.
I understand my dad disagrees with my clothing because they're all really bland looking and I look like a hag (he said that). So then why don't you buy me something that won't then? Buy me something flamboyant that I can actually wear for day-to-day use. What kind of high-schooler in their right minds would ever wear a bright red Studio 9 (pricey brand) blazer for professional women? And the other time, they bought me a blue dress.... I can't decide if its formal or not--it's too formal for normal wear, but not enough for anything truly formal. It's just a long dress. With a few embroidered flowers in front. No. Not for normal use.
But, that's in the past now.
Let's get to the present.
Let's get to my real complaint. The t-shirts thing was about a week ago. Today, my dad presents me with a gift. I looked at it.
I asked "What?"
He repeats, "For you."
I look at it again... I look at it some more.
It's an omelet maker...
How should I put this... It's not the professional looking metal ones, no. In fact, it's nothing more than two plastic, slightly bowled semicircles hinged together. For microwave use.
A few things: I am talented enough at the stove to be able to make my own omelets. He knows. I've been able to pan-fry eggs since I was about 7. He knows. I like to keep them plain though because I don't really like omelets... He knows. He should. Everytime there's an omelet bar, I'd ask for minimum fillings. He questioned me, "You don't like omelets?" I shook my head. He should know...
So let's get back to the main point.
Brother: t-shirts.
Me: Omelet maker.
I'm not even going to compare prices. Mines was probably little more than a few dollars. Probably not going to get much else except a few earfuls. Well, lucky me. I thought I was going to receive diddly again. Like last year.
Whereas my brother got a scarf, gloves, and a Starbucks gift card.
They probably expected mom to buy me things. Which she tried to do, but I thought no; I'll save her money since she's such a money-whore.
Okay, enough of this. I'll find something to do with it.

No comments: