Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Warning

Starting with a joke: I won't say I hate talking to people when this happens, because I don't talk to people. Ha. Ha.
(Funny how...funny... anti-social jokes are)
Anyway, my friends don't say this, but I hear other people talking and using this phrase: "I'm not gonna lie..."

...I'm sorry... Were you going to?

It's such a superfluous phrase. I mean, usually, you add on phrases to enhance your sentence, like "seriously", "honestly", or like me "I mean" and "anyway". It's supposed to point you somewhere, to lead you to a different topic or evade a certain one. "I'm not gonna lie" doesn't. It's just a warning at most... Okay my train just derailed and fell into the gorge it was just happening to cross. Deploying a new one... Choooo--
It's such a useless phrase. It does nothing to help you get your point across. You may ask, "So, how is it different from 'To be honest', then?" Well, it's kind of denotation versus connotation, you know. If you define it word for word, it's going to mean the same thing, but spoken, it's two completely different things. "I'm not gonna lie" suggests that you might have lied previously, while "To be honest" says that you're not going to withhold your opinion anymore. Yeah? It's like lying versus omitting: similar, but different things. Potato, potato.
Okay, weak rant, I know, but I just hate hearing that phrase so much! Argh!!
It could also be due to the fact that it's mostly used in shallow conversations, which are all but lies to pass the time, so it's kind of hypocritical.

On another note, the word of the day (according to my dictionary program) is codicil.
The word I was actually looking up was gratuitous because I keep mixing it up with superfluous, both of which I learned in my Freshman English year. All my other years barely taught me as useful words, just pretentious ones, such as percolate and armada.

Heh. My baby bro just asked one of my earphones and now he's pretending to bob along to the music. Cute.

No comments: