Friday, September 16, 2011

Angry Midnight Ranting

The thing about Mom is that she's never wrong. She's never wrong and she'll never admit she's wrong. Because she doesn't believe she's wrong. It does not even cross her mind that she may be wrong. She's simply not wrong.

My school comes with an insurance plan. You can choose to automatically enroll or specially waiver it before a deadline. Naturally, I wait until there are only a few more days before the deadline to take action. I look at the waiver and immediately decide that I can't do anything until my mom looks at it.
She looks at it.
Phone calls are made and an intense game of phone tag ensues.
Now my school is a good hour and a half car trip away from home. We're in a whole other county and so I have to reapply specially for insurance for the same there as I have here. But I can't even start unless I have a mailing address. Because they send confirmatory mail.
School doesn't give you an address until you've moved in.
I don't move in until weeks after the deadline to waiver.
I don't waive the insurance.
Enough background story.

Now I've just spent minutes and minutes arguing with my mom and it's the most dead-ended argument I've ever, ever experienced. It's as pointless as arguments with kids but less entertaining. It was literally a yes/no match but with longer words.
She insisted that if I had not procrastinated and made some calls earlier, this never would have happened.
I tell her that it wouldn't have mattered when I brought it up because either way I still needed a mailing address in the first place.

Her: I told you if you had done something earlier instead of waiting until the absolute last minute. You know I made the call and the lady couldn't just transfer you over because every county has their own thing--
Me: It wouldn't have mattered because I'd still need that address to even register--
Her: If you hadn't waited until you only had a couple of days left with basically no leeway--
Me: That wouldn't have changed anything because I don't have an address! I don't get one until I move in.
Her: If you had acted the moment you got the mail--
Me: I still won't have an address.
Her: I--
Me: I don't understand what you're going on about! I need an address to register and I! Don't! Have! One!

The entire conversation, I had trouble understanding her because we were most definitely on interfering wavelengths. I'd be saying that I'm mostly done packing. She asks if I want to pack some snacks.

....Huff!

No comments: